Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Under a Raincloud- Part 8

It was around eight when we decided to leave the restaurant. Toby and I walked outside into the dull night air; Los Angeles was a little more groggy than usual.
“I’ll walk you to your car.” Toby offered but I stopped him.
“I didn’t bring it. My sister took me.” I smiled slyly.
“Oh did you now?” he showed his pearly whites in a wide grin that made me sigh.
“Yeah…I guess you’ll have to take me home then.” I kicked a pebble and shrugged my shoulders, making sure to put on my cutest smile.
“Oh alright, if I have to.” He joked, “But I didn’t bring my car. I live right around the block, so we’ll have to walk if that’s okay.”
“Sure, that’s sounds fine.” I was a little excited to hear we had to walk. It meant we also had more time to be together.
We started walking down the street in silence. I crossed my arms as wind started to pick up. Toby noticed and put his arm around me, drawing me close. I smiled, which made my teeth chatter.
“Damn girl, you must be freezing!” He said, taking off his jacket. He put it around my shoulders and put his arm back around me.
I clutched my little black purse in my hand tight, feeling goosebumps rise from my arms. They weren’t from the cold; they were from the warmth his body shared with me.
We continued down the sidewalk, talking about a wedding he had recently been at, when we came across a group of four drunken-looking men. I began to get nervous, praying they would leave us alone. Unfortunately, I was wrong.
“Ooooo baby, look at the rack on that chick!” One of them said.
I heard two cat-calls and another man say, “Damn, you sexy girl!”
“Just ignore them.” Toby muttered to me and I nodded.
We passed them on the block they were at, but that didn’t stop them. They ran behind us and one of them cut us off.
“Common baby, show us what’s under that pretty dress of yours.” He reached to touch me but I backed up into his friend.
I felt his breath on the back of my head and jumped forward.
“Guys, just leave the lady alone, common.” Toby spoke up.
“And who might you be, fuckin’ cunt?” the man in front of me slurred his insult.
“It doesn’t matter, just move out of the way and no one will get hurt.”
The men laughed, “Get hurt? You mean to say your bitch ass is gonna hurt one of us? I’d like to see you try, fag.”
Toby stepped to the side to try and pass him but the man followed his move. Toby suddenly took my hand; it was shaking.
Suddenly, I felt a hand reaching up my dress and I whipped around.
“Don’t fucking touch me!” I yelled.
The man got pissed and slapped me across the face, “Quiet you whore!” he spat out.
That infuriated Toby. He turned to the man and punched him in the face, “You touch her again, you fucking die!” he said punching him in the face again.
Two of the drunken men took Toby by the arms and dragged him away from their friend. The guy that was blocking our path before walked up to him. He was struggling to get out of their grasp but surprisingly they were strong enough to hold him back.
“You think you can just take down my friend like that?!” he screamed at him.
“No, no I’m sorry, I just—”
His sentence was cut short as his breath flew out of his lungs. The man punched him again in the stomach.
“Stop it!!!” I screamed, “Fucking stop it now!!!”
I was grabbed from behind by the guy who had reached under my dress.
“Ooooo baby, you smell nice.” He grumbled in my ear and sniffed. I felt the blood from his nose wet part of my hair. I kicked and hollered as he dragged me away from the horrible scene.
I heard Toby grunt again and saw the man punch him in the jaw.
“Help us, someone fucking help us!!!!” I let out an ear piercing scream until the man holding me shut my mouth.
Finally I heard a sound that was music to my ears. A police siren from down the road caught everyone’s attention. Red and blue lights lit up the night as the sound got louder. The man that had a hold of me dropped me and I fell to my knees. I looked up at the guys who were holding Toby back and saw they had dropped him too. The men ran off and the police car chased them to the end of the block.
I crawled to where Toby was. He was lying on his back, coughing. I sat next to him and looked at his poor face. His lip was bleeding and his eye was already a purpleish color. He looked at me and tried to crack a smile.
“Perfect ending to a perfect night.” He muttered through his fat lip.
I laughed, tears forming in my eyes at how helpless he looked, “You know it. I’m so sorry this happened.”
“Don’t be sorry. It’s nothing close to your fault at all.” He carefully sat up, holding his stomach in pain.
“Are you okay to walk?” I stood up and took his hand.
“Yeah.” He got to his feet, “good thing my place is just around the corner here.”
I put his arm around my shoulder and helped him to his house. We stumbled in and he went straight to the couch. I found the kitchen and grabbed a bag of frozen peas and corn. I gave him both bags and he set them on his lip and stomach.
“Thanks.” I barely heard him through the bag.
He reached his hand to my face. The palm of it cupped my jaw and his thumb brushed against my cheek. I winced in pain; it was the cheek the man had slapped.
“Sorry.” Toby took the bag off of his lip and sat up. His hand still attached to my face, he carefully pulled me towards him.
Our lips intertwined and even though his bottom one was two times bigger than it should’ve been, fireworks burst above our heads. We didn’t stay connected for long however. The pain in his lip caused him to separate sharply and lay back down.
“What a romantic first kiss.” I laughed.
“It was worth it. All of this was worth getting that kiss.” He made my heart warm once again. “You wanna stay over? We don’t have to do anything, I just think I need company now.”
“Yeah of course.” I said and took off my heels.
He scooted over and patted next to him, indicating for me to lie down. I did, and we both lay on the couch, his hand on my hip, not saying a word. We were happy to be together even though we both had our asses handed to ourselves. And our happiness was all that mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment