Thursday, November 17, 2011

Under a Raincloud- Part 4

We ordered our coffee and sat at the table I had claimed before.
“So.” He started.
“So, I sorta wanted to talk about last night.”
“How’d you get my number?” he suddenly asked.
“Oh, um…do…you remember two Tuesday’s ago? That morning I…uh…woke up in your bed. You had gotten out of the shower. It was the most awkward thing I’ve ever experienced in my entire 22 years of living.” I scratched my head.
“Yes, I do actually! Crazy shit…” he took a drink of his coffee.
“Did we really have…ya know…”
“Sex? Yes we most definitely did. And, I don’t know you, but I do know that you are gorgeous and sexy and nice and stubborn, which I find attractive. So, would you like to go on a proper date with me? No more clubs, no more drinking. I prefer coffee to shitty vodka.”
I blushed, “Yes, I’d love that.”
“What’s your name?” he leaned forward and showed his dimple again.
“You’re gonna laugh.” I held in a giggle.
“Oh common, it can’t be that bad.”
“Okay…but don’t make fun of me! My name is Rainbow.”
He laughed and I couldn’t help but join. “Just call me Rain, please.”
“That’s adorable!”
“Funniest part about it is that my sister’s name is Sunshine. Everyone calls her Sunny. So we’re Sunny and Rain. Nice huh? My parents were real assholes.”
“Naw, I love it! My name isn’t as cool or creative as yours though. I’m Toby Turner.” He introduced himself for the third time meeting him.
“Nice name; you look like a Toby.” I laid my chin in my hand and stationed my elbow on the table.
“Well thanks!” He leaned back and sighed. He raised his arms up in a stretch that revealed a thin line of skin between his pants and his shirt. My eyes were drawn to it and I stared awkwardly without comprehending the fact that it was creepy.
My attention was drawn back to his face when he put his arms down and I shook my head, trying to get back from my raunchy daydream. He looked at me and smiled again before asking,
“So…how long have you lived in L.A?”
“Pretty much my whole life; my parents now live in San Fran but I stayed here with my sister because I love it too much. How about you?”
“Moved here in 2008 from Florida. Grew up there but had wanted to live in L.A my whole life so here I am!”
“Wow, sounds like you’re livin’ the dream!” I grinned.
“Totally am! What do you do for a living?” he threw another question at me.
“I’m a student at California State University, and work part-time at Bru Coffee Bar.”
“Oh, that place?! I hate their coffee, why the hell are you working there?”
I laughed, “Cause that was the only place hiring at the time ‘cept here but they rejected me.”
Toby suddenly straight up yelled, “You guys should’ve hired her!” to the entire shop. I practically jumped out of my seat to try and cover his mouth but he was leaned too far back I couldn’t reach.
His smile was from ear-to-ear. I felt my face redden up as people looked at us, but Toby didn’t seem to mind at all.
“Okay smartass, how about you? Where do you work?” I tried my best to be playful even though he embarrassed me.
“I make videos and put them on YouTube.” He said casually.
“Really? You get paid for that?”
“Yeah, I’m partnered with them. I also do small segments for different shows and TV channels. Been in a couple of web shows, sometimes I do music gigs, but most of my time is devoted to the audience.”
This was beginning to get weird.
“The audience?” I repeated.
“Yeah, that’s what I call my fans. Weird, I know, I have no idea where I came up with it. I guess it’s just what makes the most sense ya know? The viewers are my audience; therefore, I call them audience.”
Now that I had found out he made videos on YouTube, I didn’t find that quite as awkward as I had before when I heard him talking to his iPhone.
“Oh, alrighty then.” I took a sip from my coffee cup and shrugged, “Sounds like fun!”
“It really is. I love those guys; they make my life a whole hell of a lot easier.” He let out a breath of laughter.
“Good to know! I wish I had fans. How many subscribers do you have and, do you get like, tons of girls commenting on your videos and shit?” I asked.
“I have about 1.4 million subbers on my main channel. But yeah, I have people saying they love me from all over the world, that my comedy has helped them through hard times, and I’ve gotten plenty of marriage proposals and ‘hothothot’s.”
He noticed my confused expression and explained again, “I say hothothot when I see an attractive girl. It’s one of my comedy acts I guess. Then again, I sometimes say it out of spite, not realizing I’m saying anything. Like last night at the bar, ‘member?”
“Yeah, yeah I remember that. And this morning…Just one last thing.” I had to get this out, “What the fuck does Tobuscus mean?”
“Honestly?” he leaned in and whispered, “I have no idea.”
I giggled at his seriousness.
“Toby is my name right? So removing the –y and adding –uscus then smushing the two words together just made it epic and I kept it. You can add –uscus to any name. Try it!”
“Rainbuscus?”
“Yes!” he serenaded my ears with his laugh.
“Wow Toby, you’re a weird guy, you know that right?”
He chuckled, “Damn straight.”

2 comments: